Sunday, May 8, 2016

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Today marked my 12th official Mother's Day. It started off perfectly....I slept in, woke up slowly in the bed with my sweet hubby. For the first time ever I slept in and woke up on my own on Mother's Day!!!! This was monumental. I proceeded to the kitchen where our oldest had cleaned and organized. Erasing all traces of last night's dinner. We were ready for pancakes and bacon. Usually Donald makes me breakfast and spoils me but he just ended a long rotation at work so he slept in along with me and I just let him be. The kids laughed and joked and even made me coffee while I cooked.

Then my picture perfect day turned into a nightmare. Bickering, arguing and fibbing ensued after breakfast as the kids worked to get dressed and ready for a visit to Grandma and Grandpas. I found myself disappointed that my day had taken a wrong turn. This was my day after all. I work hard, take care of my family. I wanted to be pampered and treated like a princess. Commence pouting. What had went wrong? The answer, nothing. The kids wanted today to be perfect just like I did. In our excitement we forgot that all 7 of us are human with our own thoughts and emotions. Even in the "mess" of humanity God has blessed me beyond measure. He reminded me of a time when I longed for the sounds of a full house.....a strong emphasis on sounds. I didn't care whether it was arguing, crying, laughing, or singing. I wanted the blessings He had for me and I wanted them pronto. He had answered my prayers with 5 beautiful, strong willed blessings...

We had a wonderful visit with Grandma and Grandpa and cousin B and all the fur babies. Then we headed off for dinner. More fussing, demanding ensued but this time I relaxed and dealt with what came. And do you know what happened? By the time we were headed home 2 1/2 hours later the kids were singing Veggie Tales songs, teasing their Daddy and I and things had completely turned around.

In this life nothing is perfect in the sense that it is without struggle and a fight of some kind. But almost always that is accompanied by the blessing of joy and beauty if we just take the time and patience to look for it.

I hope you all had a beautiful day celebrating God's blessings in your life this Mother's Day!



 Put Up With Me
~Holly Giffers

I’m glad that you’re my mother,
kind and caring and strong.
Coz surely no-one else,
Could have put up with me this long!

No comments:

Post a Comment